Sunday, April 22, 2012

Carcass

The carcass lies in the corner of my bedroom. Once alive, it is now a lifeless beauty. The cherry surface you see may only be a veneer, but behind it all is a spine of solid cherry, keeping her back straight and firm to the wall.

The vanity carcass has been glued and screwed. I decided to build it here, rather than in my shop, to avoid lugging it up two flights of stairs.

The next step is to fashion a face frame to square up and strengthen the front face of the vanity. The plan is to be flush, or nearly so, to the exposed corner with about an eighth-inch overhang against the wall With 3/4-inch overlay hinges, that will leave a thin reveal between the doors.

Thus far, it has been one day of cutting wood, three days of finishing, one day of construction. It would go a lot faster if I didn't have a family to take care of, but that's just how it is. My goal for tonight is to make the face frame after the kids are in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment