Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cherry Doors

Although I'm making a shelf box for the master bath right now, I'm still plugging away at the vanity. I installed the doors so I could make the upper drawer face the right width. Also added a couple corner braces from scrap cherry plywood. Given the carcass construction, they were probably unnecessary but I feel better having them there.

If my drawers disappoint me, my doors always work well, but drilling those 35 mm holes scares the hell out of me. For face frame hinges, the center should be at 20.5 mm from the edge. My doors were a smidgen wide for 3/4 overlay so I decided to cheat. My hole centers are 21 and 22 mm from edge (the one that's further off is the wall side door - it has the luxury of being sloppy). Probably a good thing I did. With all four hinges at full outboard, I have a 2 mm reveal. The doors don't touch, so I'm happy.

The corner braces are just a couple 45-degree cut offs from some cherry plywood, attached with wood glue and pocket holes. I lack a drill press, so pocket screws work just fine for me.

I have a stainless steel tip out tray on order. I went with a slim model, just so I don't have to fret about interference with the sink. I like the idea of getting some utility out of what would otherwise be a decorative slab of wood.

I am one coat of urethane away from being ready to piece together the carcass of the shelf box. Then, I can start building its face frame.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Face Time

I added the face frame and the toe kick to my first attempt at making a bathroom vanity. I think it is coming along well. Not perfect, but thus far only I know where the skeletons are buried.

At least I didn't crack the face frame during assembly. That's a first.

The top drawer space is only 3-1/2 inches high, but that may be enough for me to install a tip-out tray. That is, if there is enough clearance between the drawer and the sink.

All that's left to make for this vanity are the top drawer front, corner braces, and a removable shelf.

Sunday, April 22, 2012


The carcass lies in the corner of my bedroom. Once alive, it is now a lifeless beauty. The cherry surface you see may only be a veneer, but behind it all is a spine of solid cherry, keeping her back straight and firm to the wall.

The vanity carcass has been glued and screwed. I decided to build it here, rather than in my shop, to avoid lugging it up two flights of stairs.

The next step is to fashion a face frame to square up and strengthen the front face of the vanity. The plan is to be flush, or nearly so, to the exposed corner with about an eighth-inch overhang against the wall With 3/4-inch overlay hinges, that will leave a thin reveal between the doors.

Thus far, it has been one day of cutting wood, three days of finishing, one day of construction. It would go a lot faster if I didn't have a family to take care of, but that's just how it is. My goal for tonight is to make the face frame after the kids are in bed.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Getting Started

I am now, officially, started with my master bath renovation. I have the first set of materials - the wood for the vanity and shelves.

Like our kitchen, our bathrooms were not built with the best materials and they have started to deteriorate. So I am going to rebuild this room myself. I am going to start by making the wooden products, the vanity and a matching shelf box.

A few months ago, that would have been a daunting task. At this juncture, it is not the item that gives me the most pause. That I reserve for the demolition.

I am not going to change the shower at all, but everything else will be updated. For now, though, my task is to change a pile of wood into a couple pieces of furniture.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Closet Drawers

Finally. I got my daughter's closet drawer set done. I had half a sheet of oak plywood left over from my bench project, so I decided to make this. Drawers are still very difficult for me. Any and all adjustments are crude, at best. Doors are, for some reason, much easier for me.

My second drawer box came out nice, though. I learned to not leave as much slop in sizing the bottom and to cheat and use brad nails to square things up before pulling everything together with pocket screws.

One thing I know is that it is heavy. Three-quarter plywood all around. That seemed like it took me forever to build. I guess I'm just impatient and want things faster than they come to me.

At least now my daughter has more storage space for her clothes.