Sunday, July 12, 2015

Rhubarb and Blueberry

We just returned from our family vacation. This year, we spent a couple weeks touring southern California. I will get to those posts soon.

In the meantime, I've spent this weekend trying to readjust, with limited success. While it's very nice to drive on uncrowded roads and shop in familiar markets, I'm still jet lagged.

As a therapy, I made a rhubarb sauce.

We bought a fistful of rhubarb stalks. I took a half cup each of water and white sugar in a sauce pan and brought that to a boil while stirring. Meanwhile, I cut the rhubarb into half-inch pieces. Once the simple syrup was boiling, I reduced it to a simmer and added the rhubarb pieces. This was to simmer for ten minutes.

Halfway through that process, I decided to take a handful of blueberries that we had left over, smash them with a fork, and add them to the mixture. The result was a tarty, berry-like sauce that will go well over vanilla ice cream or velvety pound cake.

Tomorrow, I will return to work. I am a little apprehensive not knowing what to expect, since I disabled my work email on my phone for the duration of my vacation. I believed that my family deserved my attention, undivided. I'm not sure that was any better than quietly monitoring the progress of my projects, but what is done is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment